New Beginnings

Welcome to my Blog!

Monday, April 11, 2011

Passion Play Observations

Every so often an event comes along which allows you the privilege to be part of something much greater than yourself.  Opportunities such as these are vital to the health and growth of a community, team, organization, or a Body of Believers.  Just what are the “essential ingredients” that foster this growth?
First, a major production such as this requires many, many “hands”.  The task of our gifted and very patient leaders was to mesh and synchronize these “hands” toward a common goal.  Therefore, we all served a greater purpose.  By this, we are able to see the building of something beautiful as we worked together in a spirit of cooperation and sacrifice. 
Another facet is stepping out of our comfort zone and accepting a challenge to perform a task or role.  Once again, this proves to be one of the “ingredients” of growth and health.  For example, my name would probably not be in the top ten if a cross-section of Burkemont folks were asked who they would pick to play the role of a brutal, tough, authoritative Roman Centurion.  But, with the help and encouragement of many friends, somehow I hope it was accomplished. 
This brings to mind an experience during Graduate School when I encountered Advanced Statistics…from Day 1 I just knew I would be a failure…math has never been a strength.  But, somehow I found the courage and hard work to not only pass, but do pretty well.  What a confidence builder!
Can you recall all the “little” helps along the way?  I recall, and appreciate, all those “hands” who helped me lace up the Centurion’s breastplate…the many “hands” who applied all that make-up…the “hands” who provided the needed props just in time…the “hands” who served the much needed Subway meal Saturday…the “hands” who help me with the microphone equipment…I could go on and on…
All of these acts of service build a community, an organization, a team, or a Body of Believers.  Serving others with a good heart is a “gift” which benefits both parties.  These reciprocal, “win-win” encounters are like a tonic to the human soul, and are the characteristics of winning teams.  As Lee who played the character of Jesus reminded us in the beautiful song, “I Have Come to Serve”!
Equally beneficial are the many smiles and laughs shared throughout this journey…from the Soldiers skirt that somehow ended up in the middle of the stage during the “Trial” scene, to a kind heart who gently informed me that my helmet was on backwards just prior to storming out on stage.  One afternoon a sweet little girl came up to me and remarked: “I’m not scared of you”!  The observation was encouraging and helped me “toughen-up”, but the look on her face was priceless.
There are so many people to thank for their service to this great undertaking…which may be another ingredient to such a great feeling I have in my heart today.  It may be a “month of Sundays” before I stop saying those often-forgotten words to my Family of believers…Thank You!  My emotional bank account is full and overflowing; with gratitude, love for my Savior and hopeful anticipation of growth and seeing what the future holds for our Body of Believers.  I know the Father is pleased…and that is the greatest reward of all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment