New Beginnings

Welcome to my Blog!

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Out Of The Retirement Cave

With spring rapidly approaching it is time to slowly stick my head out of the retirement cave and sniff the air for new adventures.  So, what is on the horizon, you say?  First, I am really, really enjoying a life of extreme leisure and contemplation.  My days are full of good books, close companionship, long walks, exercise, and just hanging out with Karen and the pets.  Karen and I have jumped in on a new slow carb  eating plan suggested by the author of the 4-Hour Body which includes a focus on three main food groups:  proteins (lots of chicken and steak on the George), lots of eggs, legumes, and vegetables/salads.  Absolutely no sugars, bread, potatoes, rice, etc.  With working out at the gym, daily walks, and no stress I have found my weight and body fat % declining steadily; time to head to the outlets for “skinny clothes”!
Karen and I have also “trimmed down” in other areas.  We both like simplicity, no-clutter, and being good stewards, so, recently we sold our 99 Volvo and the truck.  Believe it or not, both vehicles sold over one weekend by simply giving them a good “bath” and then parking them at Wal-Mart.  We were certainly blessed as our insurance bill is cut in half, and the new owners were friends from work.  The 95 Ford XLT truck was certainly a wonderful vehicle with only 38 K miles (and a 4x4 to boot)!  I do believe that transactions such as this epitomize our goal to always try and be a blessing in someone’s life if possible; it was truly a “win-win” encounter.
Mornings are really special times.  Our cat, Emma, wakes me around 4 a.m. to be fed and let outside.  She then hangs out with me while I enjoy coffee, facebook, reading, Bible Study, or just browsing on the Internet.  Today was a keen interest in the New River and a camping/fishing trip is on my calendar for April.  I found a cool web-site featuring a company in Minnesota who makes “custom” canoes specifically for fishing!  This is just down my alley as it combines low-tech, low-expense, and ease of operation.  No big bass boats for me!  Just one more thing to take care of and fix!  Yesterday I suggested to Karen that she and the Chihuahua’s would love to accompany me on camping trips.  This idea may need time to marinate.  BTW, awakening at 4 a.m. simply means long afternoon naps!
Retirement also has its demands, just in case you were thinking I am enjoying myself way too much.  Although always ready to help with the chores around the house, (I specialize in kitchen duty after meals), I have included new duties such as:  daily scooping the cat box, making the bed, vacuuming, light laundry, and spoon feeding the Chihuahua’s frequent meals.  A recent discovery is that Sadie loves any variety of fish, such as sardines and salmon cakes.  Sadie sleeps all day snuggled in front of the gas logs and only gets an appetite around evening;  in contrast to Brinks,  who could make a visit to Ryan’s buffet bar just about any time. 
Currently reading Tom Clancy’s new book Dead or Alive, Decision Points by President Bush, The Jesus I Never Knew by Phillip Yancy, as well as Bible reading with the Gideon reading plan.  In addition, Karen and I are doing the Beth Moore Study, David, Seeking a Heart Like Him.  Karen will be leading this study at church next week.  She is such a treasure and blessing in my life and an excellent teacher/facilitator!  We recently finished a Chip Ingram study with a neighborhood couple which proved to be a real joy getting to know them, sharing prayer requests, as well as the fellowship.  Danny and Brenda, our new friends, are Auburn fans and still own a home there.  It was neat to kindle our friendship during Auburn’s run to the championship. 
In the up and coming section of my life, yesterday I travelled to the post office and completed my very first passport application.  Karen and I are planning an extended trip to Belgium, France, and England over the summer.  She and Kala made the journey last summer and this year I get to enjoy Belgian waffles, French crepes, fish and chips, scones and tea, and much more.  I am really excited thinking about all the pomp and pageantry that awaits us.  We will have lots of fun…but that is the nature of our relationship.  We enjoy each other’s company a lot.  Having watched the children travel all over the world multiple times I guess it’s my turn. 
Also, I am excited about the upcoming Passion Play our church is presenting at COMMA this Easter; check it out!  My role is the Centurion.  I told Warren Daniel that he was a hard act to follow (you know he was a West Point grad)!  I pray many hearts are stirred, our Father is glorified, and our church blessed as a result.   





No comments:

Post a Comment